Vacations in theory are wonderful. I especially enjoy them when I have no phone or computer. I feel such freedom and aliveness.
Then I must return home. All vacations end, right?
I soon realize I am a bit behind. The laundry is piled up. My emails and Social Media Messages are over 500. The suitcases are unpacked- but the ‘stuff’ is all over the house. My paperwork, mail, and lists are spread everywhere. In short, I am overwhelmed.
How does one escape this chaos?
Well, by addressing one thing at a time. My list may not be exactly like yours, but it may be similar. Take what applies to you. Add more of what you need. Stay focused. Remember, your goal is to get a grasp on your previous productivity and efficiency, and to De-Clutter all of that stuff that surrounds you. This is my list with given my prioritization:
1. Unpack suitcases and bags. Put away immediately what you can, or at least put it in the room or area it belongs
2. Put clothing in wash machine- load by load
3. Go grocery shopping for some easy items.
4. Check my calendar to ensure I do not miss anything in the next week.
5. Go through all of my emails.
6. Check all of my social media
8. Go through my mail
9. Go through all of my notes, lists and actionable emails
10. Make a new ‘to-do’ list, and begin ‘DO-ING’.
This is only a start, basically to de-clutter the immediate environment and organize my thoughts and actions.
I wrote this blog partially for you, but also partially for me. Sometimes a Professional Organizer needs a reminder too.
Missy Bystrom is the owner of The Organized Connection located in Cleveland, OH and Orange County, CA. Missy’s blog gives weekly tips and tricks on becoming more organized and having a more peaceful household. If you would like to become a certified professional organizer, follow this link. If you would like to get more extensive information on organizing your household, business or personal, follow this link